Industry Report: PrEP has tremendous potential across a range of infectious diseases, and innovators need to be ready
Shift Health Signs BlackNorth Initiative CEO Pledge, Committing to Ending Anti-Black Systemic Racism
Shift Health Hosts Webinar on Embedding Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA) in Research-Intensive Organizations
Embedding Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility in Research-Intensive Organizations
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is emerging as a valuable approach to protect at-risk individuals against infectious diseases. To capture opportunities in this expanding area, innovators will need to account for unique clinical, commercial and access considerations. Here, we present five considerations at the product or portfolio-level that we believe are key to positioning PrEP programs for success:
- Programs should focus initially on at-risk populations that may not benefit from existing prevention tools, including immunocompromised groups, individuals with multiple comorbidities, healthcare workers and potentially others in frequent contact with those at-risk.
- PrEP’s value proposition should emphasize convenience, cost-effectiveness and ease of use, with a focus on durability, complementarity to vaccination and seamless integration at the frontlines of delivery.
- Significant investment will be needed to prepare markets, with a focus on building awareness of the limitations of vaccines in target populations and the distinguishing features of PrEP from other prevention and treatment approaches.
- A PrEP portfolio should be positioned to support combination or co-administration of individual products to maximize convenience for patients and health systems and deliver as much protection as is valuable in a single PrEP visit.
- Stockpiling should be factored into the opportunity by emphasizing attributes that increase government’s confidence in PrEP’s utility, and exploring inventory and surge capacity models that make the most compelling case to systems.
For more detailed analysis on how these considerations will underpin winning playbooks for PrEP programs, and position them to fulfill their health and commercial potential, download the PDF.