Shift Health is seeking an Analyst with a science mindset. Toronto.
Shift Health brings a science mindset to strategy consulting for the health research and innovation ecosystem.
Our team is driven by passion to deliver scientific, health and economic impact by coupling scientific and clinical depth with business and management acumen. We look for courageous, curious, intellectually nimble professionals who are committed to asking tough questions, applying analytical rigour and generating insights that matter; self-motivated collaborators who are committed to results and driven to excel; and creative, cutting-edge thinkers with the aspiration to design, develop and deliver innovative solutions to advance human health and wellbeing.
As an Analyst, you will work closely with our experienced consulting team, rapidly building exposure to a wide range of project areas and quickly gaining increasing responsibility for project research, analysis and deliverables. Shift Health’s Analysts are expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Gather, mine, and interpret research from diverse secondary sources;
- Conduct primary research, including designing consultation guides, identifying and engaging key informants, participating in consultations and documenting insights;
- Analyze and synthesize large data sets to generate insights and support the development of presentations and reports;
- Communicate results and recommendations to project teams and clients; and
- Contribute to business development by working collaboratively on the development of compelling proposals and marketing materials.
Shift Health’s client base is geographically expansive; up to 5% of an Analyst’s time may be dedicated to domestic and international travel. Please note that due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, Shift Health is not undertaking any business travel.
Required/Desired Skills and Experience
Required Academic Status
- You must have a research-based graduate degree in life sciences (either a Masters or PhD)
- An MBA may be an advantage
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies
- A history of strong academic performance and knowledge of science, healthcare and/or the life sciences sector (where relevant, please indicate the number of peer-reviewed publications that you have, notable journals where your research has been published and major awards/funding that have supported your research)
- High degree of personal initiative as demonstrated through distinguishing knowledge, leadership and/or skills acquired through other relevant work or extracurricular settings
- Track record of professional growth and personal development
- High level of problem-solving and analytical skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to manage multiple projects/priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail
- High degree of poise and professionalism and an ability to apply constructive feedback to deliver excellent work
- Strong teamwork skills demonstrated in virtual and in-person settings
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
COVID-19 Update: To protect the health of our team, Shift Health’s physical offices are currently closed. We expect to work remotely until at least August 2021. Analysts should expect to work remotely from a Canadian location while our offices are closed. Once Shift Health is able to safely re-open, Analysts must be able to work both in-person and remotely.
Remuneration & Benefits
This is a full-time position; a competitive salary is offered along with a bonus based on personal and corporate performance. A comprehensive industry-leading benefits plan will also be provided.
To support professional development, Analysts will be assigned a performance coach and mentor, participate in a structured onboarding program and join ad hoc training activities. During the pandemic, Analysts will receive a modest, one-time contribution to home office improvements (e.g. improved internet connectivity). Analysts will also benefit from Shift Health’s Self Care Allowance, which provides employees $200/month for services/items that can improve overall wellbeing while we are advised to work from home.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your cover letter should include an indication of how you learned about this employment opportunity (e.g. Shift Health website, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, university career services, career event, Shift Health employee, etc.).
Shift Health values and aspires to create a diverse and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from all genders, people who identify as LGBTQ2S+, members of racialized and minoritized groups, Indigenous Peoples, people with diverse abilities, and others with the skills and knowledge to succeed in this position. Accommodations are available on request for candidates in all aspects of the selection process.
About Shift Health
Shift Health brings a science mindset to strategy consulting for the health research and innovation ecosystem. We blend scientific depth, sector leadership and global perspective, tackling our clients’ most challenging questions with curiosity, rigour and courage. Delivering sharp insights and customized solutions, we’re helping to create the future of healthcare.
The measure of our success is evident in some of our proudest achievements: leveraging over $1 billion in public and private sector financing for our clients; working with most of the world’s ten largest biopharmaceutical companies; and driving more than 50 healthcare and innovation partnerships globally. Every member of the Shift Health team started as a health and life sciences researcher and possesses the unique ability to couple scientific and clinical depth with business and management acumen. Our work across the health research and innovation ecosystem has shifted thinking about healthcare in more than 40 countries in North America, Europe, Latin America, Southeast Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
Shift Health’s Commitment to Anti-Racism
At Shift Health, we believe anti-racism cannot simply be a corporate value: it must be central to our corporate mission. Shift Health is committed to combatting systemic racism and creating opportunities for Black, Indigenous and other racialized and minoritized groups to develop skills and experiences required to build a career in the health and life sciences. Our determination to help dismantle systemic racism is guided by the following five commitments:
- We will appoint and appropriately resource internal leaders who will work with the broader Shift Health team to drive and sustain our anti-racism agenda.
- We will undertake an immediate review and renewal of our policies, codes and practices through the lenses of anti-racism and white privilege.
- We will invest further in formal and experiential learning opportunities to ensure that all members of our team have the knowledge, awareness and literacy to engage fully in anti-racist praxis.
- We will create safe spaces for frank dialogue about racism, oppression and discrimination.
- We will reach into our communities, building respectful partnerships that uplift Black, Indigenous, and other racialized and minoritized groups, and helping our team both serve as and find role models who inspire personal and professional growth.
You can read more about Shift Health’s commitment to anti-racism HERE.
Shift Health’s Work Environment
Shift Health cultivates a fast-paced, high-energy work environment that provides diverse experiences and opportunities. Our consultants are highly collaborative, working as members of high-performing teams on a variety of projects across sectors. In addition to the opportunity to work on a spectrum of exciting projects with clients who are world leaders in their fields, Shift Health is committed to fostering performance excellence through training, mentorship and professional growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have an MBA but no scientific experience. Am I eligible for this position?
Unfortunately, no. Eligible applicants must have a research-based graduate degree in life sciences (either a Masters or PhD).
I have a Master’s degree in the life sciences. Am I eligible for this position?
Yes. Eligible applicants must have a research-based graduate degree in life sciences (either a Masters or PhD).
What is the compensation for the Analyst position?
A competitive salary is offered along with a bonus based on personal and corporate performance. A comprehensive industry-leading benefits plan is also provided. Additionally, during the pandemic, Analysts will receive a modest, one-time contribution to home office improvements. Analysts will also benefit from Shift Health’s Self Care Allowance which provides employees $200/month for services/items that can improve overall wellbeing while we are advised to work from home.
Where will I be expected to work during the pandemic?
Shift Health’s physical offices are currently closed. We expect to work remotely until at least August 2021. Analysts should expect to work remotely from a Canadian location while our offices are closed. Once Shift Health is able to safely reopen, Analysts will be expected to be able to work both in-person and remotely. Shift Health’s office is located in Toronto, ON.
What does the interview process look like?
Shift Health’s Recruitment Team will review all cover letters and résumés and will select a group of candidates to progress to the interview stage. As part of this stage, there will be a 30-minute interview with one of the Recruitment Team members, followed by a 60-minute written assignment and a 30-minute debrief of the written assignment. The interviews are behavioural and the written portion is an exercise designed to assess writing skills, data analysis and logic. A group of candidates will then be selected to progress to the final case study stage. As part of this stage, candidates will be asked to independently solve a business problem (over a 72-hour period) and present their solution to the Recruitment Team. The case study will assess a candidate’s problem-solving skills, logic, presentation skills, visual communication and ability to answer questions. A final decision on successful applicants will then be made.